The History of the Polish-American Association of San Diego
The Polish American Association of San Diego was incorporated on February 23,1944 in the State of California under Title XII of the “Non-Profit Corporation Law”.
From the beginning it became a main sponsor of the Polish Cottage in Balboa Park, responsible for its Sunday's “Open House”.
Until 1950, the Polish American Association of San Diego held its meetings at Laudis Community Hall.
From the beginning of the fifties, after Polish American Association of San Diego purchased small club-house at 1934 30th Street, the PAASD hosted on regular schedule in its new location:
- - Monthly meetings and dinners, open to the public, famous for the Polish and international cuisine.
- - Service for the needy: PAASD sponsored occasional food donations to non profit CA organizations like Alamo Club and others.
- - Regular sponsorship and service for the House of Pacific Relations and its International Cottages in San Diego's Balboa Park. The sponsorship ended in 1995: the House of Poland was incorporated as 501(c)3 organization, member of the House of Pacific Relations.
- - The PAASD facilities hosted numerous special events for Polish American and international communities in San Diego: it was the place where local ethnic groups practiced, the place where the other groups held the meetings . The most frequent users were:
- -- The dancing group under direction of Lucy Sermak
- -- "Wesole Nozki” turned “Wislanie” under direction of Mary Leu
- -- “Polonez” under direction of Ewa Chrzanowski
- -- Performing Folk Dancers of Balboa Park( its first edition) under direction of David Odenwalder.
From 1996 the PAASD continued its social and public activities:
- - Every month the General Meeting is hold , followed by the ethnic dinner and international entertainment. PAASD hosted programs and concerts of Kim Flying Eagle – famous Native American from Navajo Nation, Mariusz Migdalski piano concert, classical concert on piano,cello and violin by “Rondo”, concerts of local and nationwide soloists and singers: Carlos,Greg & Grace, Frankie, Zbigniew Galazka, Janusz Supernak and Krzysztof Wisniewski, the programs of “Polonez”, “Wislanie”, “ Performing Folk Dancers of Balboa Park”.
- - The “May Ball” - a splendid celebration of May 3rd 1791 Constitution , first democratic constitution in Europe -became a tradition and main funds-raising event for PAASD. The event always comprised of the oral presentation on Constitution , games and contests, ethnic dances or short classical music concerts and after, a dinner dance
- - Speaker presentations and films: “Madame Modjeska “by the staff of the Helena Modjeska Museum, “Estate management trust and wills”by Joanna Probst, 'The Soviet Story”- a documentary film made by the Latvian filmmakers and other.
- - From 2012 the PAASD had occasional “Open House”to educate passerby about Polish traditions, celebrations and history.
- - The PAASD hall serves as the polling station for presidential, state , and local elections.
- - The PAASD hall is used for yoga classes, small church meetings ,contemporary dance classes.
- - The PAASD held occasionally rummage sales,ethnic food bazaar and exhibits of the Polish artifacts.